Monday, May 15, 2017

Tokyo 1st Ward - An Expat story

Another trip abroad and another visit to church on Sunday. I am so grateful that I have the Church in my life. I enjoy attending church when I travel; it gives me a feeling of belonging no matter where I am. This time I am in Tokyo, Japan. I got onto lds.org and found the nearest church building to my hotel. It was Tokyo 1st Ward, an English speaking expat Ward. Expat Wards are very different from the typical Ward because of their transient nature. Most Expats are in country for 2-3 years and then go back home to the United States or their home country. That means that there is a 1/3 turn over every year in the Ward. Imagine being the Bishop in a Ward like that when all of your volunteers for teachers, youth programs and music are changing every year. Must be hard to have any consistency in the Ward.

I sat next to a family and started talking about their experience in Tokyo. This time a young family with four little kids under the age of 10. They love Tokyo, so much so that they want to extend their stay from 2 years to 3 years. They said the city is clean, very safe and the people are very nice and friendly. Especially helping them figure out the basic day to day things in life, like grocery shopping.  One of the biggest changes has more to do with Suburban American living compared to Urban living in Japan. "Driving a Car".

As a west coast American, driving is like breathing. We have to do it to survive. We love our cars in California's central valley. And not having a car would be very difficult. I even have a hard time when I travel and don't rent a car. No I did not rent a car in Tokyo. :( I found out from this family that they felt the same way and originally got a car when they got here to Tokyo. But quickly returned it after a couple of weeks. A couple of things caused them to stop driving and start riding bikes and taking the trains.

First, they drive on the left hand side of the road. Thanks to the British, the Japanese drive on the "wrong" side of the road. Second, Tokyo is an ancient city and was designed to confuse and disorient invading armies. So the streets are more like a maze than a grid of streets like we have in the western United States. The labyrinth of one way single lane roads is hard to navigate. Tokyo's subway system is extensive and easy to access any part of the city. Therefore, taking the subway and riding bikes is the way that this family has decided to go.  Can you image going to the local grocery store on your electric bike with two kids in tow? That is what happens in Tokyo. :)

Overall, another great visit to church. And I got a bonus. The church I went to was right next to the Tokyo Temple so I got to see the small but impressive Temple Grounds.

I hope to calm down the travelling the next couple of months. I don't want my home ward (or my wife for that matter) to think I have disappeared.

DWP