Monday, February 20, 2017

Raising men building a tree fort

During the Christmas of break of 2012 my boys and I decided to build a tree fort in our back yard. That does not seem like an out of the ordinary feat, but our back yard is dominated by 3 large redwood trees all over 60 feet high, a pool, and a trampoline. That would be a pretty typical backyard in California Suburbia, but my lot is only 7200 sq ft. I guess I have brought my work at Intel home. I keep trying to fit more into the same space. 

One of my older sons, Dallin, designed a 5 story backyard fort that incorporated trees, a fence around the pool and our trampoline. He had a blast designing it. With big visions in his eyes of a huge tree fort, we went to our favorite home improvement store, Home Depot and bought all the lumber, Quick Crete and screws we needed to start our fort. We quickly found that our dreams were bigger than what we could finish in a 2 week break from school. So we broke it down into sizable chunks that we could handle in the short time we had during Christmas break.

Now each Christmas or school break for my boys that are in college, we add on to the tree fort. I could say that it is an Agile project. We plan, build and stain in about 3-4 days.  Each time we add something new we are learning how do do something new as well.

This last Christmas Dallin asked me what I was going to do when we move? I said when we move someday we will have to start another tree fort. He has already signed up for another 4 year project.

The project is now 4 years

Phase 1 – Trampoline Platform (2012) 

Madeline trying out things while we are building.
 We learned how to work with quick-crete and cinder block. We also learned to measure twice and cut once.
The three amigos on the Trampoline platform


Phase 2 – Tree house (2013) 


We learned that boards are not straight and that when laying a deck to only start one end, not on both sides, and meet in the middle.

Dallin is the stain master. He learned that using a
pesticide sprayer was the easiest way to apply stain.


Finished staining the wood

Phase 3 – Spa and Pool overlook (Movie platform) (2014)


How to build around a tree and incorporate it into the over all plan.
David making sure everything is strong and secure

My boys turning into men (Dallin, Jacob and Darren)
Spa and pool overlook. Movie platform as well.

Phase 4 – Observation run along the back of the pool (2016)


We decided to try something new and build stairs down to the observation deck instead of a ladder. That added some time to the project. :)

Dallin, Jacob and Darren on the Observation
 run along the back of the pool


We will update this blog when we build again. I can't wait to see what else my boys have in their minds. We will also start adding the two little boys to the construction project. Should be fun!!

DWP